Pitch Fee Refunds at UK Holiday Parks
Whilst we have been a little quite across our social media platforms and on our blog over the last couple of weeks that does not mean that we haven’t been doing anything. It’s a fast-moving situation with lots of different issues across the UK. We thought it would be useful to create an updated guidance article for anything pitch fee refund related for caravan owners across the UK.
Are you on a Park Dean Resorts (PDR) park?
- Start by heading over to this group on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/parkdeanowners/
There’s lots of discussion about PDR and stacks of other information.
- Keep an eye on this website: https://theconsumerlawyer.blog/ and this article specifically:
The ‘consumer lawyer’ has taken on the case and is pursuing the issue on behalf of caravan owners. It will be very interesting to see how this unfolds. Excellent guidance and information about the topic.
- Check out Martin Lewis’ article about the matter: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/05/can-i-get-a-refund-on-static-caravan-fees-if-i-can-t-use-it--/ (updated 2nd June 2020)
If you are not on a PDR park…
- You can contact the Competition & Markets Authority (CMA) to report a business you believe is behaving unfairly during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak: https://www.coronavirus-business-complaint.service.gov.uk/
The CMA also are tasked with unfair terms legislation, and anything to highlight the imbalance of power in our industry will help to encourage them to give more attention to how consumers aren’t protected when it comes to the holiday caravan industry.
- Head over to PARK HOLIDAYS & OTHER PARKS, Unhappy Caravan Owners/Users ACTION GROUP and join up ??
Carole Keeble heads up this group and their focused on unfair practice and they’re hopeful
that they’ll be able to convince gov. to develop specific legislation for the industry. They say themselves that it’s an ‘action group’ so things do get a little feisty at times. Take a look at Carole’s petition, consider the content and sign if you support it - https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300007
Also listen to her Radio 2 appearance with Ros Pritchard of the BH&HPA hosted by Vanessa Feltz: (37 minutes in) https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000jhr6?fbclid=IwAR3zqIAgi7VwQxrgX8QKs1-FUBIAZxT6BzeJaxxbYLErdE_9eO5O4rMo91o
Carole does a cracking job on behalf of caravan owners across the UK.
- Contact your MP to raise your concern about the matter: https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mps
As we’ve noted previously on this topic, there isn’t a one-size-fits-all approach for this. We’re aware that there are a legal cases being pursued by various people in an effort to gain an outcome that will assist caravan and lodge owners nationwide. At this point in time, it’s a waiting game to see how these situations pan out. We’ll keep you posted with information as and when it’s available.