If you’re thinking about making the move from ‘bricks and mortar’ to a mobile home park it’s important that you do your homework. Critically though, if you are planning to live in a park home it’s essential that you buy on a full residential site. In this article we highlight some key pointers that you should think about.

Park Home is the commonly used term for a mobile home that is located on a protected site. Park homes are a unique form of homeownership – Unlike a traditional property, a park homeowner owns the structure of the home itself but not the ground it is located on. Instead of owning the land the home sits on most park homeowners rent a pitch from a site owner. The pitch fee is typically paid monthly, but this can vary from site to site.

The owner of the park home site must have planning permission and a site licence issued by the local authority. The site licence will state whether the site is a holiday site or fully residential. In some instances, the licence may allow both permanent and holiday homes.

Mobile homes law gives a number of rights and protections to park homeowners who occupy their home as their only or main residence if it is situated on a protected site. A protected site is a privately owned park where the relevant planning permission or site licence allows the land to be occupied wholly, or in part, for year-round residential use.


If you want the park to be your permanent residential home you should look for a full residential licence – don’t assume that a 12-month holiday licence is the same, it may not be. Some holiday parks advertise ‘year-round occupancy’ and ’12-month licences’. However, you will not be afforded the same protection when buying on a residential or as it’s referred to – a ‘protected site’. Check the site licence, written agreement, and park rules carefully before signing.


Don’t just search the internet. Make sure you speak to a solicitor about the terms and the sale. If you choose to use a solicitor, which is strongly recommended,
you should find a firm that is independent from the seller or park owner. Search the internet for a solicitor with experience of park homes. For preliminary advice on buying or selling permanent residential park homes, contact the Park Homes Advice team at LEASE on 020 7832 2525.


If you are planning to buy a park home we recommend that you instruct a specialist park home surveyor to undertake a report. This isn’t compulsory, but is the only way to give an accurate assessment of the condition of any park home you are looking to buy.

Contact Subject II Survey for specialist Park Home surveys - www.subject2survey.com
Call: 01869 346973
Email: subject2survey@hotmail.com

This short guide is a very brief overview of just a few things that you might want to consider when buying a park home. It is by no means exhaustive. Please visit LEASE – they provide free advice on fully residential park homes and leasehold law. They are an independent body, and only advise leaseholders and park home owners. https://parkhomes.lease-advice.org/

Current owners are often a good source of advice and local knowledge

  Published on 22 September 2022 By Jenny Blumsom