Advice: Calculating your holiday caravan or lodge sum insured…

A big part of static caravan and lodge insurance is how much to insure for. Not only will this often effect how much you’ll pay but it’s also vitally important in the event of a claim.

What does sum insured mean?

The sum insured is the maximum amount your insurance company will pay in the event that your holiday home is totally destroyed or badly damaged. You will generally be asked for two sums insured

1.) the structure 
2.) the contents.

The structure is the holiday home and its fixtures and fittings. The NACO insurance policy also covers things like decking and verandas under the structure section of the policy. Make sure that you check your own insurer to what they cover. You also need to consider debris removal and re-siting costs too. Choosing how much to insure for is your own decision – there’s some guidance on our website about ‘market value’ and ‘new for old’ cover.

If you’ve just purchased a caravan or lodge deciding how mush to insure for is easier. However, if you want further guidance, speak to your park manager or give us a call.

When it comes to contents, static caravans and lodges are a little different to bricks and mortar houses as they come with lots of items from the factory. Your contents sum insured will be something that you need to consider based on what you’ve ‘added’ to the holiday home. You also need to bear in mind that some things aren’t covered.

For more information on this, read your policy or call us on 01255 820 321.

RELATED ARTICLES - static caravan insurance

  Published on 29 May 2018 By Dan Ellacott

About Dan Ellacott

Dan plays a key management role within NACO and also assists with our Advice Team and magazine production.